Terms of Service
Current admins and mods: @spencer (admin)
Motley is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. In addition, Motley categorically will not host advocates or affiliates of certain hateful, hurtful, or oppressive ideologies.
This code of conduct applies to all Motley spaces, including public channels, private channels, forums, and direct messages, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
Actions and behaviors that aren’t welcome here
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, tribal affiliation or Indigenous/Nativeness, immigration status, religion, or other identity marker
- Microaggressions (everyday jokes, put downs, and insults that spread humiliating feelings to people of marginalized groups)
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Policing the validity of others’ gender or sexual identities
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they're not appropriate
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Threats of violence or incitement of violence toward any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Note: Limited leeway will be given for absurd and hyperbolic statements directed at non-user figures; for instance, “Jeff Bezos should launch himself into the Sun”.
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
Jokes that resemble the above, such as "hipster racism", still count as harassment under this code of conduct, even if meant satirically or ironically.
Motley prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The administration team will not act on complaints regarding:
- "Reverse"-isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia"
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you."
- Communicating in a tone you don't find congenial
- Criticism of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Groups of people who aren’t welcome here
In the interest of creating a safer community on Motley and hosting ideas that are constructive, not harmful, you are not welcome here if you are a member of any of the following affinity/ideology groups. The examples in parentheses are demonstrative, not exhaustive:
- Fascists/cryptofascists (including white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, “identitarians”, alt-right, and alt-light)
- The Manosphere (including Men’s Rights Activists, Men Going Their Own Way, The Red Pill, incels, etc.)
- Trans-exclusionary or sex worker-exclusionary “radical feminists”
- Totalitarian religious groups (such as Christian dominionists)
- Fundamentalist religious groups
- Note: Members of non-fundamentalist, non-totalitarian religious groups are absolutely welcome here.
- Forced-birth supporters (aka “pro-life”)
- Note: You are specifically unwelcome if you believe pregnant people should be forced to give birth; for example, via the state criminalizing abortion. If you personally would not or might not have an abortion, but do not seek to deprive others of that right or argue them out of their personal decisions in any way, you are welcome in Motley.
- Vaccine deniers (aka “anti-vaxx”)
- Climate change deniers
- Supporters of xenophobic, antisemitic, cryptofascist, or otherwise hateful conspiracy theories (such as Holocaust denial, Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, Qanon, Pizzagate, Illuminati, New World Order, etc.)
In addition, you are not welcome here if you work in any capacity for any of the following types of organizations:
- Immigration enforcement
- Intelligence/spy organizations
Apart from those listed, if you have any ideology that believes in—whether violently, non-violently, or religiously—the repression of people based on race, gender identity, sexuality, and so on, you are also not welcome here.
If you are being harassed by a member of Motley, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact an administrator (listed at the top of this document) directly or file a report using the Friendica reporting system.
The admins reserve the right to exclude people from Motley based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Motley spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Motley. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing or harmful behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing or harmful behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Motley spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Motley members or the general public.
The administrators reserve the right to update the Code of Conduct at any time at their discretion. Updates to the CoC will be communicated to users via email and posts from admin accounts. If you have any concerns about or suggestions for the CoC, please contact an administrator via email or direct message.
Code of Conduct History
- 2020-01-23: Created
This was adapted from the Friend Camp Code of Conduct, LGBTQ in Tech Code of Conduct, and Mutant Standard Code of Conduct. It is licensed using a Creative Commons Zero License, meaning the contents are in the public domain.